Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Zone Conferance



Letter from the Mission President

Good Morning! I hope you are all having a great day. I hope each of you felt as richly rewarded as I did in attending Zone Conference this past week with Elder and Sister Johnson. I would like to thank all who participated; in the role plays, the beautiful music, the food and set up, prayers, etc. Thank you. I have attached photos Sister Anderson took at the San Fernando Valley Zone Conference so that you can forward them home as a keepsake. I will try to get the pictures taken at Palmdale Zone Conference on the email next week.

A few notes from the Conference: (Elder Johnson)
1) In connecting the role of the Holy Ghost in Conversion and We Invite, They Commit, We follow-up; an investigator must exercise faith by doing. John 7:17 "If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself." That is how they gain a witness of the doctrine, by doing it.
2) Don't get too far ahead of investigators where we can only see them in the rear view mirror. We must pace with how they are keeping their commitments.
3) We can manipulate people to baptism...but that is not our purpose. Our purpose is to bring them unto Christ. To do that, they must exercise faith in Christ by keeping commitments, including repentance.
4) If we teach people, they can sense our love. If we teach lessons, it is more difficult to feel that love.
5) Progress isn't related to how many lessons a person has been given but by commitments kept.
6) Strive to be high yielding, low maintenance missionaries.

(Sister Johnson)
1) It's not about me.
2) If the spirit can be with you, you have something the rest of the world doesn't have. (D&C 50:41,43,44)

From my Book of Mormon reading this week, I would like to share two highlighted areas of doctrine that really impacted me:
1 Nephi 15:8,11 "Have you inquired of the Lord?" If ye will not harden your hearts, and ask me in faith, believing that ye shall receive, with diligence in keeping my commandments, surely these things shall be made known unto you." (pray continually)
2 Nephi 2:25-28. "Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy. (Our eternal purpose) And the Messiah cometh in the fullness of time, that he may redeem the children of men from the fall. And because that they are redeemed from the fall they have become free forever, knowing good from evil, to act for themselves and not to be acted upon (free agency). Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh; and all things are given unto them which are expedient unto men. (Our probation and opportunity on earth). And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great mediation of all men (Atonement), or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil; for he seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself (opposite of joy). And now my sons (missionaries, liken the scriptures unto ourselves), I would that ye should look to the great Mediator, and hearken unto his great commandments, and be faithful unto his words, and choose eternal life. (the greatest of the gifts of God)

Next week I will be reading through 2 Nephi 27.

Last week the mission had 14 baptisms, bringing our total for the year to 323. I am grateful for that harvest. It is late Elders and Sisters so I think I will stop here. May I just say how much Sister Martin and I admire and love each one of you. How much we appreciate you 'thrusting in the sickle" to gather Israel. The gospel is true. It is Heaven or nothing! May the Lord bless each of you to accomplish all of your righteous desires.

President Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment